Roman Catholic Housing Since 1520

FuggereiMrs. Wunderle lives in the Fuggerei, a Roman Catholic housing settlement for the penniless that Jakob Fugger "The Rich" built in this southern German city near 500 years ago. Praying for Mr. Fugger and his descendants to enter the Pearly Gates is a clause for living here, at an annual rent of 1 Rhein guilder, the same as in 1520. In nowadays's money, that's 88 euro cents, or about $1.23.

As in medieval time, the Fuggerei farm is protected at night. Residents take turns manning the gatehouse to open for belatedly stragglers and select them between 50 cents and an euro, depending on the hour. read more

9 comments:

Yos Favorite said...

really nice house to live in. Just afraid the price is not cheap.

1HitProperty

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

Erica Smith said...

Dear,
I want to make 1 guest post in your blog, if you permit me. The post contains 350 words above and totally unique as it is written by my content writers.
Please contact me at ericasmith568(at)gmail.com soon. Moreover, I will place your link in one of my finance sites.

1995 Chevrolet Prizm AC Compressor said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Anonymous said...

Wow , it is almost unbelievable that such a place really exists!
London Removals

Anonymous said...

It is a big treasure to have the chance to see such a place!



Cleaning Services

Kris House said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ronda House said...

Such interesting story, I wish I was living in such an old and beautiful house!

Moving services said...

Fantastic post. I would like to live in this house. Very innovative and inspiring story.